Happy Veterans Day! I’m thinking about my Poppies who fought during WW2 in the navy, my Granny who helped the war effort by building airplanes, and the other awesome men and women who fight for our freedom and keep us safe. As the bumper sticker on my Granny’s old car says, “Home of the Free Because of the Brave”
Today is also my half-birthday, which means it’s time for a 6 month update on my goals! Here’s a play-by-play of how it’s going!
1. Get a Boston Marathon bib for the 2015 Boston Marathon. NAILED IT! Check out my fundraising page!
2. Run my first marathon (preferably, the Boston Marathon). SCHEDULED! Monday, April 20, 2015.
3. Run 6 half marathons. I’ve only run 4 so far – June, July, August, and October. I had to sell my bib for last week’s November half marathon because of my ankle. I might try and run one in December, but with marathon training starting soon, it might not happen. However, I’ll probably be able to squeeze in at least one more as part of my marathon training – and maybe still hit 6!
4. PR in one of those half marathons. NAILED IT! 2:04:20!
5. ACTUALLY begin doing yoga regularly again. I was doing yoga every week for a few months before my injury, and as soon as I get the ‘ok’ I’ll be back at it – especially during my marathon training.
6. Eat clean(er). Ehhhh There are the ups and downs in this. I think overall, I’m eating cleaner.
7. Quit that coffee habit. Nope. I like coffee too much. One cup of coffee every day, although sometimes I can get away with a chai tea instead.
8. Make our new house a home. It’s been 6 months and we still haven’t hung up artwork. There’s a lot of artwork leaning against the walls, but we haven’t put a single nail in a wall. One day?
9. Check out November Project on a Wednesday morning. LOVED IT. I’m taking a break from NP for this semester because with Wednesday night classes from 7:40-9:40pm, it was a REALLY long day to also go to NP before work. However, I plan on going back as soon as the semester is over and making it one of my cross-training activities.
10. Get back to my goal weight… and stay there. Working on it. I’m back at weekly WW meetings and 5lbs from my goal range. I’m really proud that I’ve been able to not stray too far from my current weight (or gain weight) with this ankle injury.
11. Officially apply to the Harvard Extension School’s Master of Liberal Arts program. Working on it! I have one more personal statement to write. The application is due at the end of the month!
12. Get 200 followers for my blog – I’m currently at 50! Up to 72! This was a totally arbitrary goal but its nice knowing that people enjoy reading these ridiculous posts.
13. Hike the Alps. Nailed it.
14. Run a sub-25 minute 5K (my PR is 26:17). Nope, not yet. Perhaps as I start training?
15. Plan my next Ragnar Relay (Cape Cod? Napa Valley? Las Vegas?). Not quite yet. Anyone want to run one with me??
16. Pay off those credit cards (and get better at balancing my love for frequent flyer miles with not over-using my credit cards). Working on it!
17. Check out Brooklyn Boulders in Somerville and (maybe) start rock-climbing again. Not yet!
18. Find a place to volunteer 1x a month. I need more time. Like, more time in the day/week/month.
19. Spend more time with family. Sister lives less than half a mile away. Saw my aunt, uncle, and cousins and their families in Michigan over the summer. And seeing my Momma in just a few weeks!
20. Talk to friends more often. Working on it!
21. Blog at least once each week. Yes? Or at least a few times each month?
22. Try acupuncture. I have my first appointment on Monday! A woman at my WW meeting SWEARS by this acupuncturist, and I’m excited to see how it goes and if it helps my ankle!
23. Keep a plant alive… without Eric’s help. All the baby plants have died, but our two leafy guys are still kicking.
24. Cook 28 new foods/dishes. I ❤ Cooking. Here are some of my recent creations:
25. 28 days of running at least a mile every day. I tried and got pretty close to 28 days. I’m currently on a ’28 days of NO running’ and it’s a lot harder.
26. Find a stranger in a bookstore and get a book recommendation. Been too busy – and instead I spend all my time reading about religion in America for class.
27. Plan the next big trip. After the traveling to Michigan, Switzerland, and North Carolina, we’re happy to be spending some time at home. BUT I’m sure I’ll start bugging Eric soon about our next trip!
28. Ok, let’s be honest. I don’t want to just run the Boston Marathon. I want to DOMINATE the Boston Marathon. I want to work and train hard for it so that when the big day comes, I feel good and positive and confident. Working on it! First I need to get my ankle feeling all better. In the beginning of December, I’ll start training for the marathon. I’m going to make sure that I cross-train with biking, running the stadium stairs, and yoga. I’m going to practice running hills and do track workouts – something I’ve never done before. It’s going to be awesome!
The holidays are officially here. If you hate shopping in public or want to support a good cause while you shop, you can order Yankee Candles online and 40% of your purchase will go towards LLS! That’s right – you buy a $25 candle, and $10 goes to LLS. Feel good about your holiday shopping! Go to https://www.yankeecandlefundraising.com/ and enter 990071104 in the Group number (It should say L and L Society Becky Solo in the Welcome Page). Order by Friday, 11/21 to get your candles in time for the holidays!